Wednesday, June 9, 2010

O Frabjous Day...

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"


He took his vorpal sword in hand:
Long time the manxome foe he sought --
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.


And, as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!


One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.


"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.

-Lewis Carroll


If you've been wondering what I've been doing these last few days, here's an update:


Skipping with glee.


That's right, I am the happiest bottle of whiskey on the shelf right now. Not so long ago I recieved a hastily penned note from the administration of my school stating that in order to prepare for my intensive summer classes I needed to prepare 7 weeks of lesson plans in the space of about 12 days. For those of you who don't know, my hakwon usually only has class from 6:30 am until about noon and then from 6pm until 10pm of which I work about 7 hours leaving me the afternoons to get errands done, catch up on precious precious sleep and generally have no fun whatsoever. However, during the summer and winter "breaks" they open up the school in the afternoons for university students to come and study away what little vacation time they have. And who is to teach these courses? Why the people who are already working split shifts of course. So you can imagine my ire at the prospect of spending my free time prepping work for a wide range of skill levels (there is no prep time built into our paid working time mind you) and then spending the two hottest of months teaching 10 hours per day on no sleep.

And now you're wondering about the happy.


I have been spared my children. The whimsical gods of fate and fortune have seen fit to once again reward my faith by stripping me of any additional duties this summer. now I may have to work a few extra hours in the morning and evening to cover for the teachers who are not as favored as I and are being forced into teaching intensives, but no afternoons for me, Huzzah! There was dancing involved, but so enraptured was I that I forgot to turn on my webcam and record the festivities. Now it remains unspecified, but since I will not be teaching those classes I see no reason to actually prepare for them.

Who says procrastination doesn't pay off.


See You on the Dark Side

No comments:

Post a Comment