Friday, August 27, 2010

Peaks and Valleys

Boy Howdy, this place is a ride.

So, you may recall in my last post I mentioned I was the only foreigner left at my hakwon. Turns out that wasn't entirely true. There is also an upper middle-aged (maybe 50? It's rude to ask where I come from) Canadian whose BFF is the owner of my little slice of Purgatory, hence his immunity to the various strains of bullshit that go on. That guy knows how to play the game, although I suppose being in the same age bracket helps lube the social intercourse. Be that as it may, his time here is up in October and then there will be a new wrinkle in time to deal with.

This is of course assuming I still have a job come All Hallows Eve. Call me paranoid (and most do) but my presence has been requested in a one on one meeting with The Big Boss on the first day of the month, 30 days notice from the start of a new term. Add to that the fact that if they wait any longer I don't have to pay them back for my plane ticket, the hiring of two brand spanking new Waegooks, the steady diminution of average student population and my students' observation that no American Male at my school has ever made it longer than 4 months and we have ourselves a bit of a thriller in the writing. This whole situation is also oddly similar to the events leading up to the Mass Foreigner Termination of August 2010.


Now, I will be the first to admit that my theories rarely pan out the way I expect, but in true conspiracist fashion I choose to attribute that to the assumption that even I in all of my vaunted suspicion fail to account for every one of Them and the true power and influence that They possess. I also sometimes miss out on what Their real objectives may be because as we all know there is always a plot twist in the end.


I will leave you with that for now as it's hot and humid and I have to go push a motorcycle up the street. Stupid needy friends.


See You on the Dark Side

1 comment:

  1. I like the way you write.

    But I am sorry that you work at a shady place. :C

    ReplyDelete