Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Attitude Check

I suck at blogging.

Truth be told it stems from a lack of ability to express myself in the manner in which other bloggers seem to have such skill. And yes, I am comparing myself to other bloggers, some of which have actually been trained in writing (thpppt).

"But Whiskey," you say, "Why should you care how others write? It's your blog and you should write it however you please and bugger all of those people who may or may not judge you for your vocabulary and grammatical accuracy."

Well, I do, so nyah. Call me insecure if you must, but forgive me for actually wanting to use the verbal skill that I know I have but can't seem to bring to bear in an actual spoken conversation due to a deep-seated fear of tripping over my own words in real time.

Also I'm kind of lazy.

That's all the self-deprecation you get from me.


I would say it's been a busy week for me, but that wouldn't necessarily be true. I actually spend an inordinate amount of time sifting through the various movies and crime dramas on television.

"But Whiskey," you say, "You're in another country with a whole new culture to explore and people to meet and sites to see. Why are you sitting in your room watching TV?"

You would be absolutely correct. I don't like the fact that I'm reduced to that most insidious of time-wasters. As a matter of fact, I hate it. However, seeing as I spent my last two months in the States unemployed and Korea is more expensive than my last residence and my first paycheck doesn't come for another month and every available remaining penny is in a secluded place here in country, I have to be sparing with my cash. This is unfortunate due to the fact that there are a lot of holidays in May offering several opportunities for me to go out and do some super cool things. I have managed pretty well so far though. I went to Seoul last weekend with ImNoPicasso (I would link her blog, but I haven't figured out the html linky thing-a-ma-jig yet) to see the lantern festival parade which was a fantastic cultural experience. Meandering around and getting lost in Seoul is everything I expected it to be.

On a more professional note, I'm beginning to lose my patience with one of my classes. I can feel it. I know I shouldn't, especially as a teacher and especially this early on, but there it is. I understand that speaking another language is intimidating, I really do. But these are not children and they have demonstrated the ability to do so repeatedly and with reasonable proficiency in class with their peers present, but never without me singling them out and forcing them to do so. I teach adult classes, so I know it's not teenage awkwardness, and they're choosing to spend their own money to come every day so I know it's not that they don't want to be there. I try to be as encouraging as humanly possible on the odd occasion that one does voluntarily choose to speak, but to no avail. I really want to help them learn, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do in my one CONVERSATIONAL English class that chooses not to converse. Thankfully none of my bosses have been on my back about it yet, so I guess there've been no complaints, which is good.

Whatever, I'll figure it out or get over it.

Sorry about the bitchin'

See you on the Dark Side

3 comments:

  1. Pfft. Show me ten "trained" writers and I'll show you ten suckers. Yours truly absolutely not excluded. Believe it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Ms. Picasso on this one. Anyone 'trained' as a writer should know that they're full of shit 92.3% of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry you're just watching TV and doing nothing. You will soon be rich ( or as close as you can get to it ) and you can stare at the koreans as they stare blankly at you and just think in your head " your paying me to stare, thank you "

    ReplyDelete