Sunday, May 2, 2010

Why do I hate myself?

One would think that in all of my research over the last many moons, I would be better prepared for the social scene here. One would be wrong though.

As I mentioned earlier, I went out with some of the other teachers the other night where I experienced the full force of native peer pressure. We went to this really cool little bar with kind of a middle eastern theme and had some finger food and beer, after which we went to another bar and met up with another of the teachers and one of her friends. It was here that I really should have stopped. I don't drink tequila, unless apparently there are five koreans shoving it in my hand and demanding I drink it. But I did, just for the sake of politeness.

Now, I mentioned I should have stopped. But as you can probably deduce by this point stopping was not, it would seem, an option. I was next taken to an "expat" club which is a giant screaming pulsating blinking multicultural monstrosity that never ceases to suck unfortunate passersby into it's gaping maw of dance and doom. Needless to say I had a blast. But all of that fun comes at a price, and I have once again decided it is a price I am unwilling to pay. After having spent an entire day lying around making unsuccessful attempts to keep something in my stomach, I have a new mission and I need your help.

If any of you kids out there enjoy a nip every now and then, but not to excess, I need to know how you go out with people here and have some fun while maintaining your general sobriety and not causing offense. Help a brother out, yo!


See you on the Dark Side

3 comments:

  1. When you drink with Koreans, drink slowly. If they see you have an empty glass, that automatically means you want more. They will do their best to make sure you always have a drink. I guess it's part of the culture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the den of excess. Good luck finding that good old pal named Moderation in this country. Hence my nearing-three-months self-inflicted dry spell. The only way I've found to make it out alive is just to make everyone think you've found Jesus or something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ya know, I was fine cruising beer for the night. It's easy to go slow with that stuff, but then they broke out the liquor and it's REALLY hard to nurse shots. I may have an out as it's assumed because I'm a kung fu instructor that I'm also an ascetic. I may have to use the excuse that I'm trying to get into fighting shape or some such nonsense.

    ReplyDelete