Friday, April 30, 2010

In Transit Pt. I

So I've decided to document all of the Wierdo McOddity that has happened to me in the last 48 hours. However, I will be doing it in a somewhat reverse order and in chunks as I don't have a lot of time before my first foreigner party. As it turns out, the person I am replacing is still here (although out of the apartment now so no more love motel for me) and his compadres are throwing him a going away party. I have been invited, and despite the fact that I am quite busily staving off jet lag I can't pass up the chance to actually meet some people.


I got lost today. Yup, not even 24 hours here and I've aleady managed to wander aimlessly into the night. Now, be aware that I don't have a phone yet, don't speak the language, and have no clear understanding of urban geography. I also know only two people here and only know the location of their domicile, which is relatively useless information at this point. All I had was my street name and the vague hope that I would be able to comprehend the directions given by whatever sympathetic English speaking soul was willing to help me.

To top it all off, I was only popping down to the corner store 50 feet down the street for some water, so of course I left my ipod with my handy Korean language app and all of my phrasebooks in my apartment. Couple that with slight globe-trot-induced discombobulation and a deep-seated need to see what's down that alley over there and you've got trouble.

I played a lot of video games "when I was a kid" and I think this is what eventully proved to be my salvation. See, your average RPG (role-playing game) has dungeons or mazes for you to enter, clean out, and find sweet loot in. I eventually figured out the pattern by which these dungeons are designed and realized "when in doubt, turn left." So with the philosophy of "If it ain't broke don' fix it" I followed my gut and eventually found the garage of the love motel in which I stayed and from there made my way back home. However, it was not all mild panic and pitter-pattering heartbeats. I also found a Dominoes, a Baskin Robbins, a Starbucks, 14 DVD bangs, 3 lecturing adjummas and a Paris Baguette. Awesome!

I should probably curb this curiosity at least until I get a phone.

Probably won't though.


See you on The Dark Side

4 comments:

  1. You're a braver soul than I. I've been here six months and have not dared to wander even once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No need to curb the curiosity -- get a Korean co-worker to write down the name of a major building or landmark near where you live (are staying?), one that you know your way back from. That way, no matter where you ever end up, you can hail a cab, give him your "idiot paper" as I called it back when I still needed one, and there ya go. Wander away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a professional wanderer, the best way to get the lay of the land from your new home, is to explore in slowly expanding concentric circles. Or to try to find a vegetarian restaurant in a large city, with two angry, tired and lazy children in tow and either no map or a crudely hand drawn mislabeled map. That's the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw! Your RPG games came in handy! And 'YAY!' for not getting jumped in a dark alley-way! I wish I could wander around aimlessly in a new place...unfortunately I've been in this god-forsaken bible belt shit-hole (irony much?) for far too long and I know it all like the back of my hand.

    ReplyDelete