Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Structure, I needs it.

So I've been brushing up on my hangdrool. And by brushing up, I mean I made flashcards half an hour ago and have been scouring the internet for pronunciation guides because my THREE language books have failed me. I know I know, I should have done this a month ago, but I've been enjoying my relatively obligation free period of unemployment, so suck it Trebeck. Now first of all, no one and I mean NO ONE apparently knows a good example for this one particular character (which I haven't figured out how to type yet). Anyway, I don't feel like describing it right now, so I'll get back to that later.

Now I've already figured out that I need to leave the more complex dipthongs beginning with W and Y for later, after I have a modicum of control over the more basic vowels and consonants, aspirates and whatnot and I get that some of the characters are just doubles of the others. However, I like math. And as a stupid math-o-phile, I need a system. Something... I don't know... systematic. Or systemic, whichever does the trick.

Now I used to be pretty good at memorizing lines for plays and shit, but due to some... fantastic... choices when I was younger, my memory is not what it once was. However, I am confident that once I master the basics of visualizing a picture instead of a string of characters, I will be pretty damn good at speaking the language. I've found that's it's more a matter of zen-ing out and listening in blocks than trying to translate every word, which at the risk of tooting my own horn, I have a knack for. That may be because of my penchant for ignoring most of what goes on around me unless something triggers one of about a hundred cerebral switches that flash the "WARNING: REPLY REQUIREMENT IMMINENT" sign in my dude-brain.

Anywho, if anyone out there has any suggestions I'd love to hear them.

by the way, the character is thus far best described as making a "ui" sound and is one of the y-based dipthongs. There is a similar sound in Chinese, but I want to make sure I'm learning it right.

See you on the Dark Side

2 comments:

  1. Okay you're either talking about ㅡ or ㅢ, both of which were really hard for me at first.

    ㅡ is really close to the "ugh!" you might make if someone ate something really disgusting in front of you. The corners of your mouth pull back really far and your teeth are almost closed. I'd say the closest romanization is "eu" but it's one sound, not two.

    ㅢ and the other "w" sounds are actually not really w sounds at all. This one is literally a combination of ㅡ and ㅣ, but said really really fast. So it's like: "eu-ee" but super sonic speed so it sounds suddenly like there's maybe a w in there just after the beginning. A very slight w though.

    Anyway, it's stupid to try to explain it over the internet. Just grab someone who has a clue once you get here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knew I could count on you Tolkien. Sounds like it's basically the same phonetic construct as Chinese exept with an ee at the end instead of an eh. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete