Friday, April 2, 2010

Four Lesbians and I...

Had burgers yesterday.


I believe it is safe to say that a good half of my friends are gay. I'm pretty proud of this given the fact that I live in the buckle of the Bible Belt and was raised in a deeply Southern Baptist family, but it doesn't come without it's own set of challenges. Due to the blatant prejudice rampant in the afore-mentioned locale in which I was raised and, for the moment, still reside, I have found that meeting new people of a less conventional sexual preference is usually frought with uncertainty on both sides. They are usually a little trepidatious with me because they don't know if I am judging them while I in turn am on eggshells trying not to let my inner asshole out.


I have what some consider to be an abrasive sense of humor, and what all consider to be a complete disregard for the niceties of conversational etiquette. Honestly, I just don't see the point. Really? I have neither the patience nor the inclination to dance around a given issue, or try to be "polite" when a question needs to be answered or a problem solved. I am blunt, bull-headed, honest, forthright, stubborn, probably opinionated and sometimes even arrogant. How am I doing so far ladies? Husband material yet?

However the gay issue is somewhat close to my heart, since I have so many close friends who are, so I make an exception. I try my hardest to put new friends at ease and let them get to know me before I unleash the Kraken.

I think the reason it's such a big deal for me is that there's so much out there that conspires to make us bitter and distant from each other and, while I may be a bit cynical and jaded, I love to see people finding love and comfort wherever they can. So when some whack job at the state capitol tries to tell my friends that because they have found a bastion in which they can take refuge against the creeping tide of hate and derision that life sometimes brings, but that bastion is made of brick instead of stone, they are different and somehow inferior to other people, I take umbrage. Big violent poison-spewing fucking umbrage. I'm so glad to be getting out of here.

Now as I understand it, the situation is no better where I'm going. As a matter of fact it is a few orders of magnitude worse. Well, what's life without a challenge eh? That and my steel wool personality will probably be getting me into a lot of trouble. If you see me in the ROK, bring scotch.

See you on the Dark Side

p.s. On a lighter note, I watched Ninja Assassins. Twice. In the same night. BAD. ASS.

6 comments:

  1. 1. Hooray for having mostly gay friends and having absolutely no idea how it keeps happening!

    2. "I have neither the patience nor the inclination to dance around a given issue, or try to be "polite" when a question needs to be answered or a problem solved. I am blunt, bull-headed, honest, forthright, stubborn, probably opinionated and sometimes even arrogant."

    Haha. Oh brother. Keep an eye out for my "face saving" post that will eventually be making it up, once I manage to get myself to a place Zen enough to write it without getting fired and deported by the netizens. Then again, you've lived in China -- I'm sure you know what I have to say already.

    Takes a lot of work not to go over like a lead balloon in Korean social situations, at times.

    3. Good post all around. And don't buy into the hype -- there is no gay in Korea, but I seem to have personally met every single lesbian in Seoul. I can introduce you to all four bazillion of them if you want, once you make it over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah ha ha! Sounds good. I should be in suwon in 3 weeks or so. Maybe I can look you up? Or you can look me up which would probably involve less getting lost and crying like an 8 year old girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good. My good friend who just shipped out lived in Suwon, but I was a crap friend and always made him come out to see me in Incheon, so I haven't been there yet.

    And don't worry too much -- the Seoul-area public transport system definitely has its downsides, but they revolve more around being stared at and the smell of imbibed alcohol than getting lost. You'll get it down lickety split.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Umbrage? WTF! I had to look it up. This country is filled to the brim with look-alike gays and lesbians. The problem is, they don't even realize such things exist. They go on wearing their skinny jeans, man-purses and fugly mushroom haircuts in complete and utter ignorance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you said it so I don't have to.

    ReplyDelete